From the northeast corner of the Olympic Peninsula which encompasses 2,716-acres of Naval Magazine Indian Island to the southern portion of the Navy’s largest West Coast underground fuel storage facility near Orchard Point at the Manchester Fuel Department, the Navy has an extensive presence within the West Puget Sound.
With the consolidation of Naval Submarine Base Bangor, Naval Undersea Warfare Center Keyport and Naval Station Bremerton in 2004, the formation of Naval Base Kitsap, the largest naval installation in the Northwest, was instituted. NBK provides services to several major afloat commands including a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier and three types of active submarines; assists numerous tenant shore commands to include Puget Sound Naval Shipyard and Intermediate Maintenance Facility, Naval Undersea Warfare Center Division-Keyport, Fleet and Industrial Supply Center-Puget Sound and Strategic Weapons Facility-Pacific.
Captain Thomas Zwolfer graduated from the United States Naval Academy in 1988 with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Naval Architecture. He subsequently earned a Masters in Business Administration from Chaminade University . In December 2005 Captain Zwolfer relieved as Commanding Officer of USS BREMERTON (SSN 698). Following his command tour he reported to the staff of the Secretary of the Navy in July 2008 where he served as the Assessment Division Director within the Office of Program Appraisal. Captain Zwolfer’s most recent assignment was as the Strategic Programs Branch Head within Undersea Warfare Division on the Navy Staff.
The December Luncheon is the annual business meeting for the council. There will be an election of Officers for 2014.
- President: Larry Salter
- Vice President: Erin Sorensen, Neva Lamb
- Secretary: Ruth Bond
- Treasurer: Dave Ellingson
- JAG: George Rose
- Please call Evergreen Transfer & Storage at 360 674-2762 for your lunch registration. Please call at your earliest convenience.
- Cut off for reservations is December 3
- Please give your name as it appears on your driver’s license.
- Spell your name to help make certain that it will be correct on the gate access sheet.
- If you do not have base access, you will need to provide your date of birth.